Sunday, April 27, 2008

Buyer's Remorse, and Potential Buys

So, the other week I went to IKEA to get some seat cushions, a new pan for Colleen since I burnt a nice HOLE through the nonstick coating of her old one, and some of those pliable cutting boards. Anyway, I ended up buying some rather plain navy blue cushions to set on our rather uncomfortable but lovable antique kitchen chairs I inherited from my grandmother. I brought them home and--success! I could now bear sitting on the chairs for more than five minutes without being entirely uncomfortable with a sore back and bottom. But THEN I made the mistake of going to IKEA's website and searching through all of their cushions because I came upon these two that I like way better than the ones I bought. Too late to bring back the ones I bought, as I already ripped off the tags, and even though economics tells me they're a sunk cost and I should make the same decision now as I would have before I bought them, it just seems like a waste to buy new ones, even if they were only like $5. Anyway, I thought I'd share the source of my pain...they're so cute, right?!














Also on the horizon for future purchases are this orchid/guzmania combo plant (from proflowers, my favorite place to get flowers--they're always fresh and look great...and they're pretty affordable and you can usually score a free vase) and this reusable grocery bag, from Baggu. First off, I really need a plant to look at and take care of in my apartment. I think it'd bring a lot of life and satisfaction to my living space, and would break up all the lovely modern straight lines of our place. Second, I've been going back and forth about whether to get some resuable bags for a while now. I haven't yet because I don't know that I'd remember to use them, but I want to because they're really DARN cheap, and they do a lot of good. Baggu's website estimates that one bag would eliminate the use of 700 plastic bags annually, most of which end up in landfills, and can take up to 1000 years to decompose. So...we'll see. I really should take advantage of these easy ways of "being green."

No comments: